Chicago buildings/landmarks

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Chicago buildings/landmarks
Posted by: Scott1964 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2013 08:50PM

I'm wondering if there are any legal issues if someone were to take photos of buildings or landmarks in Chicago and sell the photos/posters for profit. If the photos were taken from public property, such as the street in front of the United Center, or the Union Stock Yards arch or even street signs, would a permit be required? Any information would be appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Chicago buildings/landmarks
Posted by: Richard Stachowski (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2013 09:23PM

[b]I hope not.[/b]

AD:

Posted by: PKDickman (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 24, 2013 09:24PM

To the best of my knowledge, any view from the public way is fair game.
From time to time, you might get hassled by property owners or security personal but they don't have a legal leg to stand on.
Print a copy of this and read it.
[url=http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm]Photographers rights[/url]

Reproduction would probably not be an issue unless you were photographing a work of art that might be separately copyrighted or protected under the VARA. But even that is probably not going to be a big deal,

AD:

Posted by: Scott1964 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: March 24, 2013 10:29PM

So taking a photo of the Wrigley Field marquis and selling the photos would not be an issue??

AD:

Posted by: Mornac (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: March 25, 2013 01:22AM

[url=http://www.redkid.net/generator/cubs/newsign.php?line1=It%27s+not+an+issue&line2=Lots+of+people+do+it&Go+Cubs=Go+Cubs]I wouldn't worry about it Scott[/url]

AD:

Posted by: Business7007 (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 25, 2013 11:30PM

I can't speak about every site in Chicago that one might want to photograph, but the Union Stockyards Arch now stants in the middle of a public street and can be photographed all you want.

AD:

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact