Bottle Refunds

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Announcements Posted Last Post
Trains, Planes, Buses & More: Terminal Town Exhibit September 1-5 08/28/2014 09:51PM 08/28/2014 09:51PM
Goto Topic: PreviousNext
Goto: ForumsMessagesNewSearchLog InPrint View
Bottle Refunds
Posted by: Kchi (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 05, 2012 09:17AM

Does anybody remember what year bottlers stopped refilling glass bottles. As a kid in the 60s, one of our main sources of spending money was that we were allowed to return the bottles to the market. We thought it was great, but I remember the manager at the local National or the corner grocery store would be annoyed when we would bring in a shopping cart full of bottles. As a Pepsi family, I remember we would get 2 cents for a Pepsi bottle and a 5 cents for a Quart bottle from flavored soda.

I don't know whether paying for the bottles was a law or just something bottlers did to get their bottles back.

The only bottling plant I remember seeing was a Coke plant at the corner of Fullerton and Narragansett. We used to see it when we went to Riis Park or the Community in the shopping center.

I was reminded of this recently when I bought Pepsi in the city, and was surprised that somewhere along the line, Chicago is charging an additional 3% sales tax on
soda in addition to the 9.5% sales tax. So at one time I was getting a refund on my purchase and now I am paying 12.5% sales tax. Luckily I am within a mile of the suburbs, so just as I do with gas and bottled water, I will make my purchases outside the city and preferably Cook County ,to avoid the "hidden" nickel and diming that the politicians do. I am not crazy enough to go out of my way to save a few cents, I just try to do all my purchases as I go about my daily businness.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/05/2012 09:53AM by Kchi.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Bottle Refunds
Posted by: PKDickman (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 05, 2012 10:56AM

Cases of Huber beer in returnable quarts, those were the days.

I don't think there was any specific date. The bottlers just stopped as their bottle supply ran out, or their distribution area got to big to be able to get them back.

According to this article:

End of the line for returnable Coca-Cola bottle

the last returnable 6.5 oz Cokes came off the line this Oct. in Winona.

AD:

Posted by: SJMR (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 26, 2012 12:50PM

I don't know when they stopped reusing the bottles,but Kchi is so right. My sister would head to our local park early Saturday and Sunday mornings to collect all the beer bottles the teens had left from their night of drinking. They were bigger than the 12oz bottles and she got 5 cents a piece for them. I followed along at a distance to make sure all was well, but if you needed money, she was the one to see.

AD:

Posted by: Erie St Danek (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2013 09:34AM

I lived right behind Talcott School on Erie Street in the late 50's .... I remember a lady that looked like Olive Oyl that walked the neighborhood looking for empty bottles with two shopping bags in each hand. Always her bags were full. We called her Grandma Bottles. When we called her Grandma Bottles she would set the bags down on the ground and pick up her dress and moon us .... she didn't wear any panties .... and she laughed like hell when she did this and so did we ..... ! We had so much darn fun with her and so did she ....

AD:

Posted by: rjmachon (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: January 03, 2013 03:01PM

Michigan still have bottle refunds? It is like 10 cents per bottle, can, and plastic bottle and when you return them, you get your refund. This is suppose to keep recyclables out of the trash.

AD:

Goto: ForumsMessagesSearchLog In
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 14
Record Number of Users: 2 on August 20, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 42 on August 25, 2014

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact