Two Bedroom Bungalows

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: ForumsMessagesNewSearchLog InPrint View
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Two Bedroom Bungalows
Posted by: Kchi (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: November 23, 2012 07:53AM

Many of the bungalows in my neighborhood were built in the 20's. Most of the houses I know of have only two bedrooms. Since when these houses were built, family sizes were larger than the typical family is today. What was the thinking of how these bedrooms were to be used? Assuming the parents occupied one bedroom, was the assumption that all the children would occupy the other bedroom? Or was the assumption always that some form of hideaway beds would have to be used.

Would anybody with a larger family who grew up in one of these houses care to comment as to how their house was used.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Two Bedroom Bungalows
Posted by: ThenNowFuture (---.chi.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: November 23, 2012 09:02AM

I suppose they all bunked it or had trundle beds or the overflow went to the living room. Probably the babies slept in the parent's room.

More to the point, what about the bathroom. When I was growing up at least most houses had a "powder room" for relief. Two sisters made for a long wait for the shower, though.

AD:

Posted by: nordsider (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2012 01:05PM

Bungalows sometimes had a second story built into a sloping roof, usually with dormer windows, which would provide additional rooms or bedroom.

AD:

Posted by: PKDickman (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 23, 2012 03:37PM

They were intended to be starter homes.
In those days you might put a 50% down payment on a fairly short (10-12 year) loan.
You bought what you could afford and expanded, moved, or made do, as the need arose.

Room sharing between the sexes, hide-a-beds and sleeping porches would all have been pressed into use.

My folks 1941-42 era cape cod had only one bedroom and an unfinished attic they could expand into.

AD:

Posted by: brookish (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2012 05:17PM

Also, back porches could be enclosed, which is what my Aunt and Uncle did in their 1920's 2 bedroomer - 3 kids, to make a 3rd bedroom. They also finished off the attic for the in-laws to live in. One full bath only for 5 people! Half bath in the basement, which was finished in wood paneling. Half bath in the finished attic for the in-laws.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (216.81.94.---)
Date: November 26, 2012 11:20AM

My father's family grew up in a 2 flat, with 2 bedroom apartments, in the Hermosa area. My grandfather built the house in 1922. The family consisted of my grandparents, two boys, and three girls. My grandparents shared the smaller, front bedroom, and all of the children shared the larger, back bedroom. A curtain divided the room between the boys and the girls.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2012 09:23PM

At first, when we moved into our 2 br house, it was just my bro and I in the front br. After my sister was born, for awhile it was us 3 in same br, until she was one y/o.

Then our back sunroom was converted to a bedroom with its own heater for me and bro. Then we had another brother and sister in 3 years.

That's when we moved to a two story, 4 br, house.

Sharing a bathroom was "normal" for middle class families, and we just all joked about the odors. Now, families all have to have one bathroom per person, and 'germ-phobia'.[sarcasm]

AD:

Posted by: Deejo (---.chi.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: November 29, 2012 11:11PM

I happen to live in a bungalow built in 1930 that has three bedrooms - the third one is in the back, next to the enclosed porch. It seems like it was built this way - there is no evidence that the back room was added or that it was enclosed - the construction is seamless all the way around. It is the only bungalow I know that is built this way. The back room also has six windows and a VERY large radiator - it gets incredibly hot in there when its just normal temp. in the rest of the house.

AD:

Posted by: Rustymuscle (---.lightspeed.elgnil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 30, 2012 03:57PM

The average size home around 1950 was 800 square feet. People did what they could and didn't worry so much about having their own bathroom/bedroom/tv/etc.

A girl I dated in high school had 7 brothers and sisters in a 3 bedroom/1 bath house. They shared...a lot!

AD:

Posted by: murphman (---.evdo.leapwireless.net)
Date: December 31, 2012 11:33PM

I live in one in Cicero. Actually the bedrooms are incredibly small.I would guess they were built as starter homes or in my case perhaps worker cottages for western electric personnel. Also one bedroom does not have a door and a very high arched entry way. I would guess it was originally intended as a sitting room or parlor of sorts. Which would make it a one bedroom. The place is extremely original including woodwork, china cabinet. fireplace and archways in oak. With original leaded glass. the kind of place you would imagine two chairs and a radio in the "frunchroom" a dining set in, where else? the dining room and a good sized kitchen with a double bed in the bedroom off the kitchen and perhaps a couch in "the parlor". Wow, long sentence! Mostly now they are expanded, remodeled and generally unrecognizable as what they were intended to be. Progress?

i

AD:

Posted by: querencia (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 01, 2013 06:35PM

One bathroom was normal in houses built between 1900 and about 1950 or 1960. I can think of two houses in my extended family---one had five bedrooms and one bathroom with six adults and a child living there. The other one had three bedrooms and one bathroom with two adults and seven children living there. People slept on enclosed porches, daybeds in living or dining room, and attic or basement rooms, and kids slept three and four in a room.

AD:

Posted by: Vern H (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 02, 2013 02:00AM

Querencia and the rest are exactly right.I grew up in a 997 sq ft 3 bedroom georgian w/1 bath. It was built in 1948, these houses are common in the area. One bedroom was very small, maybe 9 X 7? My parents ended up having 7 kids. My younger brother and I shared the small bedroom, we had 2 rollaway beds arranged in an "L" shape. I had to fold the end of mine up to access the closet. My 3 younger sisters shared a slightly larger room w/bunk beds and my 2 older brothers lived in the unfinished basement. This was what my parents could afford, you have to play the hand you're dealt.

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-99.myvzw.com)
Date: December 27, 2015 08:43PM

BTT.

AD:

Posted by: thimmaker (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 28, 2015 03:35PM

Hey c,mon guys. Since when does every kid need their own bedroom and TV etc. My parents had one bedroom and I slept in the dining room till I got married and moved out. Seemed normal to me at the time.
Geo.

AD:

Posted by: mikbasile (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 01, 2016 10:17AM

How about on the frontroom floor ,in front of the only fan, on hot summer nights. Our dad would get the couch, and four of us would fight for a cool spot on the floor. Then our dog would move in, right in front. It was a old box window fan,that my dad put screen over the open side,to make it safe.

AD:

Posted by: linlijiaoo (---.59.caa1.ip4.static.sl-reverse.com)
Date: January 02, 2016 08:34PM

sdffgdf5645645dfhdgh

‘Get chaussures louboutin to new york knicks jersey your ed hardy bed, lebron shoes Margery, dansko-shoes.org child, asics gel lyte you beats solo are raiders jerseys sleepy,’ fitflop said michael kors handbags the cowboys jersey young fitflops lady san francisco 49ers jersey kindly bcbg max to christian louboutin uk her nikefree-5.com queer oakley store little nike roshe maid-of-honour. air jordan Rachel north face uk was nike huarache one weitzman shoes of airmax-95.in.net those yoga pants persons fendi handbags who, united jersey no uggs outlet matter rolex watches what minnesota vikings jerseys may marc jacobs be tods shoes upon oakley sunglasses outlet their ray ban outlet minds, adidas trainers are 49ers jersey quickly cheap gucci impressible lunette-oakley.fr by gucci outlet the michael kors outlet online scenes packers jerseys in michael kors handbags which dolphins jersey they lebron 10 find mac makeup themselves. ugg She ralph--lauren.fr stepped true religion into lunette oakley her dallas cowboys jersey little new balance outlet kitchen nike storenike-shoes.in.net always kobe 9 high a jerseys-fromchina.in.net fairy converse kitchen, nike air max so dre beats tiny, flip flops so montre femme white, giants jersey so polo outlet raddled, ugg and jerseys from china shining tod's shoes all north face outlet over michael kors handbags with michael kors uk that hogan pleasantest lebron 11 of new balance 574 all manchester united jersey effulgence fitflopnike blazer burnished flip flop tins, swarovski pewters, fendi belts and burberry the fendi homely omega watches decorations jimmy choo outlet of mac make up the kobe x dresser m a c cosmeticsdolce gabbana and cheap oakley sunglasses she michael kors outlet canada looked chiefs jersey all true religion uk round uggs and timberland boots smiled jordan shoes pleasantly, nike mercurial superfly and fitflop kissed james shoes old gucci bags Tamar, fake oakleys and roshe run said bottes ugg pas cher —‘So, kobe 9 low my nike mercurial dear gucci shoes old lebron 11 fairy, michael kors here’s mulberry uk your adidas outlet Cinderella nike-free-run.co.uk home gucci outlet again lebron shoes from mac uk the asics ball, north face jackets and insanity workout I’ve thunder jersey seen lebron 12 nothing tods so new balance trainers pretty fitflops uk as polo ralph lauren outlet online this burberry outlet since michael kors handbags I michael-jordan.it left falcons jersey Redman’s new balance shoes Farm. cheap jordans How rams jersey white birkin bag your designer handbags table nike air max 2015 is, gucci handbags how chanel handbags nice colts jerseys your converse trainers chairs; louboutin I guess outlet wish hermes bags you’d red bottom shoes change burberry handbags with patriots jersey me hollister-uk.me.uk and tory burch outlet online let air force me eagles jerseys be lululemon.com.co cook ray ban pas cher week hollister clothing store about; toms shoes uk and, oakley sale really new balance the asics-gellyte.fr fire michael kors is green bay packers jerseys quite hogan sito ufficiale pleasant chanel handbags to-night. ugg boots Come, michael kors outlet online make tory burch outlet online a nike air force cup timberland uk of burberry outlet tea, burberry uk and gucci belts tell ferragamo us mizuno wave a fitflops.me.uk story, asics gel and fendi belt frighten uggs on sale me ferragamo and dansko shoes Margery fit flop before nike shoes we bottes ugg go ugg-australia.fr to jets jersey our christian louboutin shoes beds. nike Sit steelers jerseys down, uggs outlet Margery, true religion outlet I’m tod's only rolex watches here sunglasses outlet by basketball shoes permission. marc jacobs What ray ban do ray ban sunglasses you oakley mean chicago blackhawks jersey by ray ban sunglasses standing?’ hollister-co.it And replica watches the boston celtics jersey young wedding dresses lady, omegawatches.org.uk with pandora-bracciali.it a ugg outlet laugh, jaguars jersey sat timberland down, converse uk looking eyeglasses frames so lions jersey pleased, chanel bag and converse shoes good-natured, uggs.org.uk and pittsburgh steelers jerseys merry, hermes handbags that hogan outlet even christian louboutin shoes old michael kors canada Tamar jordan was vikings jerseys fain tommy hilfiger uk to mizuno smile gucci belt a kobe 10 glimmering fit flop smile; ugg outlet and cheap oakley little nike blazer pas cher Margery michael kors outlet actively atlanta falcons jersey brought kevindurant-shoes.net the nike kobe 9 tea-caddy; burberry and lebron james shoes the michael kors outlet kettle, new balance being oakley vault in oakley vault a stuart weitzman shoes skittish oakley singing new york giants jerseys state, gucci handbags quickly dallas cowboys jerseys went asics off fit flops in real madrid jersey 2015 a north face boil, blackhawks jersey and fivefingers Tamar oakley pas cher actually cowboys jerseys made ralph lauren polo tea uggs on sale in chargers jersey her ralph lauren brown polo ralph lauren tea-pot.‘Oh, hermes uk no; jordan retro the uggs on sale delf mac cosmetics uk cups jimmy choo and air max saucers; discount oakley sunglassesadidas running shoes it seahawks jersey will rolex watch be oakley sunglasses twice cheap-jerseys.in.net as mont blanc pens good beats by dre in michael-jordan.co.uk them;’ dolce and gabbana and lebronjames-shoes.com as nike shoes the asicstrainers.org.uk handsome miami heat jersey mistress lululemon of orologi-rolex.it the scarpe-nike-store.it mansion, jordansretro.in.net sitting hollister clothing in ugg boots clearance the gucci shoes deal nike free run chair, new balance football boots loosened new england patriots jersey her chanel bags cloak swarovski bijoux and jordan untied air jordan her mac uk bonnet, uggs she heat jersey chatted michael kors away, swarovski-gioielli.it to lebron 12 the burberry edification toms outlet of fitflops Margery air max 95 and black converse the gucci handbags amusement eyeglasses online of jordans both.This lebron james shoes little cheap-jordan-shoes.net extemporised kobe 8 bivouac, cartier watches as tory burch outlet it adidas shoes were, titans jersey with kobe shoes her tiffany--gioielli.it domestics, ugg boots delighted adidas store the adidas uk young converse uk belle. michael kors outlet Vanity uggs of airmax-90.co.uk vanities, bracelet-pandora-bijoux.fr as mizuno Mr. uggs Thackeray baltimore ravens jersey and lunetterayban.fr King prada Solomon michael kors cry louboutin shoes out chicago bulls jersey in true religion turn. adidasoriginals.org.uk Silver beats headphones trays clippers jersey and true religion outlet powdered adidas shoes footmen, marcjacobs.in.net and madrid jersey Utrecht, oakley sunglasses cheap velvet adidas upholstery harrodsferragamo.org.uk miserable sac--chanel.fr comforters! kate spade What asics trainers saloon mac cosmetics was lebron 12 ever eyeglass frames so jordan 11 cheery abercrombie as adidas this, converse or broncos jersey flashed lululemon all timberland over designer-handbags.us.com in ravens jersey so guess shoes small miami dolphins jersey a michael kors light seattle seahawks jerseys so yoga-pants.in.net splendidly, lebron shoes or marc jacobs yielded oakley sunglasses such 49ers jerseys immortal kate spade uk nectar ray ban from steelers jersey chased mac make up teapot rayban--sunglasses.org.uk and ugg boots clearance urn, hollister as tiffany jewelry this kobe 9 elite brewed tommy hilfiger outlet in abercrombie and fitch brown adidas-trainersuk.co.uk crockery prada uk from bootsonsale.com.co the levi's jeans roaring chaussure-nike-pas-cher.fr kettle?At tommy hilfiger all oakley glasses events, north face outlet online it nike free 5.0 had mizuno running glanced detroit lions jerseys upon michael kors a warriors jersey sensitive oakley sunglasses cheap recollection fake rolex unexpectedly. michael kors outlet online sale The ugg uk kitchen michael kors was insanity workout uk only hilfiger uk a ferragamo shoes kitchen guess now; seahawks jerseys cheap and air max uk the polo ralph lauren outlet young coach outlet lady, chelsea jersey on montre-femme-homme.fr a louboutin pas cher sudden, pandorauk.co.uk looked new balance shoes thoughtful barcelona jerseyugg pas cher perhaps ralph lauren outlet online a louboutin little vans outlet sad. real madrid jersey She true religion jeans rose; air jordan and ugg boots old adidas originals Tamar coco chanel got kobe bryant shoes up hollister uk before cheapeyeglasses.in.net her, adidas soccer with air max her arizona cardinals jersey scared, cheap jerseys secret bcbgmax.in.net look, michael kors clothed guess canada in lebron james shoes white rolex watches for saletiffany the fit flops witch, nfl jerseys whose tommy hilfiger word flops had omega-watches.in.net changed ferragamo belts all, adidas-zxflux.fr and tommy-hilfiger.us.com summoned jimmy choo shoes round burberry outlet online her burberry factory outlet those tiffany shapes, tennessee titans jersey which michael kors outlet online threw dr dre beats their air max 2015 indistinct ray ban sunglasses shadows tory burch outlet on cartier the ralph lauren outlet walls saints jerseys and mont blanc faces toms shoes around.‘Light michael kors pas cher the ugg soldes candles new york jets jerseys in christian louboutin the replica rolex drawing-room, james shoes Margery, scarpe-adidas-superstar.it and mac makeup uk then, jerseys child, kobe ix go oakland raiders jersey to pandora uk your new balance bed,’ Nike Jordan said adidas outlet the gucci young oakley vault lady, san francisco 49ers jerseys awakening spurs jersey from seahawks jerseys an fitflops abstraction. mac cosmetics ‘I reebok-shoes.net don’t michael--kors.org.uk mind five finger shoes dreams, new balance uk Tamar, tiffany and co nor louboutin fortune-tellers panthers jerseylouboutin shoes uk I’ve mac make up dreamed ray ban uk so beats headphones many tiffany-and-co.org.uk good mac makeup dreams, lakers jersey and burberry outlet online no eagles jersey good kobe 9 shoes ever nike--store.fr came rolex of michael kors them. seahawks jerseys 2015 But jeremy scott adidas talking kobe 9 of gucci uk Stanley jordan reminds lunette ray ban me nike pas cher of mac makeup uk trouble beats by dr dre and uggs outlet online follies chanel uk that hermes belt I michaeljordan.fr can’t oakley sunglasses wholesale help, cheap oakley sunglasses or air max 90 prevent. guess clothing He burberry sale has air-max-90.fr left boots on sale the hogan-outlet-online.it army, fitflops uk Tamar, jordan shoes and lunette ray ban pas cher I cheap basketball shoes don’t michael kors know manchester united jersey 2015 2016 what adidas superstar his mac cosmetics plans cheap sunglasses are.’

mizuno running shoes new orleans saints jerseys lebron 11 nike store cleveland cavaliers jersey nike free omega watches wedding dresses uk michael-kors-borse.it lebron 10 airmax-90.in.net uggs.org.uk uggs.org.uk tory burch chanel sac michael kors packers jersey christian louboutin kevin durant shoes denver broncos jersey ny giants jersey north-face.org.uk carolina panthers jersey louboutin uk wedding--dresses.net bebedresses.in.net hollister scarpe hogan jordan uk true religion jeans air jordan pas cher gucci outlet online adidas uk hollister flip or flop adidas zx mulberry salomon boots insanity workout cheap oakley sunglasses timberland uk dolce-and-gabbana.org ralph lauren outlet coco-chanel.it beats by dre insanity ray ban sunglasses philadelphia eagles jersey gucci handbags salomon shoes air-jordan.in.net adidas--superstar.fr oakley sunglasses bebe dresses converse sale nike outlet mizunowave.net bracelet-swarovski-bijoux.fr nike roshe run guess factory gucci belt stuart-weitzman.net chicago bears jerseys bulls jersey ugg boots uk michael kors outlet online nike--huarache.fr air max 90 burberry nike free bills jerseys nike mercurial burberry-outlet-online.it prada handbags uggs outlet dansko outlet sac chanel mac cosmetics uk replica watches michael kors outlet online sale oakley sunglasses cheap cheap nfl jerseys vans shoes Balenciaga rolex replica chanel bags polo ralph lauren rolex--watches.co.uk coachoutlet-store.in.net rolex replica watches buccaneers jerseys gucci outlet ugg australia puma outlet jordan pas cher wedding dresses new balance football pandora charms flip flops weddingdresses.me.uk pandora raiders jersey mulberryoutlet.me.uk cleveland browns jerseys gucci belts love bracelet gucci shoes flip flops uk texans jerseys mercurial superfly polo ralph lauren outlet louis vuitton uk air jordans stuart weitzman cheap oakley sunglasses tommyhilfigeroutlet.net nba jerseys new-balance-femme-574.fr hermes reebok shoes houston texans jerseys new balance pas cher mac makeup oakley sunglasses adidas zx flux seahawks jerseys for sale redskins jersey oakley uk converse.org.uk gucci watches tommy--hilfiger.fr golden state warriors jersey michael--kors.fr michael kors uk michael kors outlet louis--vuitton.me.uk timberland.org.uk puma shoes toms shoes tiffany and co cartier-lovebracelet.us.com oakley outlet cartier love bracelet guess factory nikeshoesinc.net ray ban sunglasses outlet cardinals jersey nike uk louis vuitton lululemon uk marc jacobs uk cheap-jordans.in.net balenciaga.in.net bengalsjerseys.us levisjeans.in.net lunette oakley pas cher buffalo bills jerseys james shoes ed hardy clothing true religion outlet cartier love tommy hilfiger harrods london browns jerseys christian louboutin outlet bears jersey pandora bijoux hermes birkin louboutin outlet flip flops michael kors outlet dfgfgdfgdfgdfg

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-73.myvzw.com)
Date: January 18, 2016 12:27AM

Btt.

AD:

Posted by: phunny bunny (104.129.196.---)
Date: January 18, 2016 09:46AM

My mother grew up on the far south side...almost Blue Island...in a frame house with only two bedrooms. Until my grandfather saved enough money to expand the house, they used an outhouse in the yard (must be why my grandmother's garden was so nice). My uncles slept in the attic, she got the other bedroom, as she was the only girl.

After the War, my parents bought a house west of Halsted around 111th Street. This area was all new construction, and intended to be starter homes. After moving out of a "full house", I'm sure many were glad to have a bathroom for just 2 people! I remember there being only a few older people in the neighborhood, but lots of kids. Many interesting additions of bedrooms/bathrooms in both attics and basements.

I think parents have always wanted to give their kids what they didn't have (rightly or wrongly), and family sizes today are much smaller. Not having to wait for the bathroom and having your own bedroom as also a sign of prosperity.

So my house in the "suburbs" has three bedroom and 2 1/2 baths for 3 people.

Enjoy your day.

AD:

Posted by: Mornac (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 19, 2016 12:07AM

I got ya all beat. My parents had ten kids. We lived in a two bedroom apt until the sixth baby was born and then we moved into a four bedroom house a few blocks away. By the time there were twelve of us living there, some of my brothers and I were bunking in the unfinished attic which was frigid in the winter and hellish in the summer. My older brother eventually moved into the unfinished basement. There was talk for years about transforming the kitchen pantry into a powder room, but the money never came about until most of us had moved out and there wasn't much need. How a dozen people shared a single bathroom is still a mystery to me (funny how I never thought much about it at the time). The kicker is that, we were by no means the largest family in the neighborhood (Irish if you haven't guessed). Most of my friends had fluid sleeping arrangements in their homes. Proprietorship over a bed was more or less seasonal (or until the next baby was born) and floors, couches, even chairs would make a good crash pad in given situations. I still live in the neighborhood and the funny thing is that all of those houses have been bought and expanded by modern couples with zero to two kids and they gripe about how little space they have. The sad thing is that, the one part of the house they hardly ever seem to use is their front porches. In the 60's and 70's front porches turned the entire street into a community living room after dinner. Today the same streets look like ghost towns in the evening.

AD:

Posted by: Jeff_Weiner (---.sub-70-194-99.myvzw.com)
Date: January 19, 2016 12:54AM

I knew a family with 9 kids, and they had a 2-bedroom bungalow. They finished the attic, and all the girls had the front end, dormitory-style, with all but the oldest of the boys in the back. The oldest son got the downstairs bedroom in back,and his parents got the front one. Father was of German background, mother Italian, and Catholics.

AD:

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Go to: ForumsMessagesSearchLog In
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 13
Record Number of Users: 5 on January 27, 2016
Record Number of Guests: 89 on December 29, 2015

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact