Two Bedroom Bungalows

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Goto Topic: PreviousNext
Goto: ForumsMessagesNewSearchLog InPrint View
Two Bedroom Bungalows
Posted by: Kchi (---.dsl.chcgil.ameritech.net)
Date: November 23, 2012 07:53AM

Many of the bungalows in my neighborhood were built in the 20's. Most of the houses I know of have only two bedrooms. Since when these houses were built, family sizes were larger than the typical family is today. What was the thinking of how these bedrooms were to be used? Assuming the parents occupied one bedroom, was the assumption that all the children would occupy the other bedroom? Or was the assumption always that some form of hideaway beds would have to be used.

Would anybody with a larger family who grew up in one of these houses care to comment as to how their house was used.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Two Bedroom Bungalows
Posted by: ThenNowFuture (---.chi.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: November 23, 2012 09:02AM

I suppose they all bunked it or had trundle beds or the overflow went to the living room. Probably the babies slept in the parent's room.

More to the point, what about the bathroom. When I was growing up at least most houses had a "powder room" for relief. Two sisters made for a long wait for the shower, though.

AD:

Posted by: nordsider (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2012 01:05PM

Bungalows sometimes had a second story built into a sloping roof, usually with dormer windows, which would provide additional rooms or bedroom.

AD:

Posted by: PKDickman (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 23, 2012 03:37PM

They were intended to be starter homes.
In those days you might put a 50% down payment on a fairly short (10-12 year) loan.
You bought what you could afford and expanded, moved, or made do, as the need arose.

Room sharing between the sexes, hide-a-beds and sleeping porches would all have been pressed into use.

My folks 1941-42 era cape cod had only one bedroom and an unfinished attic they could expand into.

AD:

Posted by: brookish (---.hsd1.ga.comcast.net)
Date: November 23, 2012 05:17PM

Also, back porches could be enclosed, which is what my Aunt and Uncle did in their 1920's 2 bedroomer - 3 kids, to make a 3rd bedroom. They also finished off the attic for the in-laws to live in. One full bath only for 5 people! Half bath in the basement, which was finished in wood paneling. Half bath in the finished attic for the in-laws.

AD:

Posted by: Dunning1 (216.81.94.---)
Date: November 26, 2012 11:20AM

My father's family grew up in a 2 flat, with 2 bedroom apartments, in the Hermosa area. My grandfather built the house in 1922. The family consisted of my grandparents, two boys, and three girls. My grandparents shared the smaller, front bedroom, and all of the children shared the larger, back bedroom. A curtain divided the room between the boys and the girls.

AD:

Posted by: tomcat630 (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 28, 2012 09:23PM

At first, when we moved into our 2 br house, it was just my bro and I in the front br. After my sister was born, for awhile it was us 3 in same br, until she was one y/o.

Then our back sunroom was converted to a bedroom with its own heater for me and bro. Then we had another brother and sister in 3 years.

That's when we moved to a two story, 4 br, house.

Sharing a bathroom was "normal" for middle class families, and we just all joked about the odors. Now, families all have to have one bathroom per person, and 'germ-phobia'.[sarcasm]

AD:

Posted by: Deejo (---.chi.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: November 29, 2012 11:11PM

I happen to live in a bungalow built in 1930 that has three bedrooms - the third one is in the back, next to the enclosed porch. It seems like it was built this way - there is no evidence that the back room was added or that it was enclosed - the construction is seamless all the way around. It is the only bungalow I know that is built this way. The back room also has six windows and a VERY large radiator - it gets incredibly hot in there when its just normal temp. in the rest of the house.

AD:

Posted by: Rustymuscle (---.lightspeed.elgnil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 30, 2012 03:57PM

The average size home around 1950 was 800 square feet. People did what they could and didn't worry so much about having their own bathroom/bedroom/tv/etc.

A girl I dated in high school had 7 brothers and sisters in a 3 bedroom/1 bath house. They shared...a lot!

AD:

Posted by: murphman (---.evdo.leapwireless.net)
Date: December 31, 2012 11:33PM

I live in one in Cicero. Actually the bedrooms are incredibly small.I would guess they were built as starter homes or in my case perhaps worker cottages for western electric personnel. Also one bedroom does not have a door and a very high arched entry way. I would guess it was originally intended as a sitting room or parlor of sorts. Which would make it a one bedroom. The place is extremely original including woodwork, china cabinet. fireplace and archways in oak. With original leaded glass. the kind of place you would imagine two chairs and a radio in the "frunchroom" a dining set in, where else? the dining room and a good sized kitchen with a double bed in the bedroom off the kitchen and perhaps a couch in "the parlor". Wow, long sentence! Mostly now they are expanded, remodeled and generally unrecognizable as what they were intended to be. Progress?

i

AD:

Posted by: querencia (---.lightspeed.cicril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 01, 2013 06:35PM

One bathroom was normal in houses built between 1900 and about 1950 or 1960. I can think of two houses in my extended family---one had five bedrooms and one bathroom with six adults and a child living there. The other one had three bedrooms and one bathroom with two adults and seven children living there. People slept on enclosed porches, daybeds in living or dining room, and attic or basement rooms, and kids slept three and four in a room.

AD:

Posted by: Vern H (---.dsl.emhril.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 02, 2013 02:00AM

Querencia and the rest are exactly right.I grew up in a 997 sq ft 3 bedroom georgian w/1 bath. It was built in 1948, these houses are common in the area. One bedroom was very small, maybe 9 X 7? My parents ended up having 7 kids. My younger brother and I shared the small bedroom, we had 2 rollaway beds arranged in an "L" shape. I had to fold the end of mine up to access the closet. My 3 younger sisters shared a slightly larger room w/bunk beds and my 2 older brothers lived in the unfinished basement. This was what my parents could afford, you have to play the hand you're dealt.

AD:

Goto: ForumsMessagesSearchLog In
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 21
Record Number of Users: 3 on September 02, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 46 on September 18, 2014

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact