Nelson Algren Sites

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Announcements Posted Last Post
Detectives Wanted to Identify Unknown 1940s Chicago Photos 10/27/2014 09:02PM 10/27/2014 09:02PM
Goto Topic: PreviousNext
Goto: ForumsMessagesNewSearchLog InPrint View
Nelson Algren Sites
Posted by: mkasprzy (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 02, 2012 04:22PM

I want to start by saying this is a great site. I am very interested in Nelson Algren and was wondering if anyone ever came across photos of Algren in his Wabansia Apartment? I know Shay published a few of them but I imagine there are others. Or do others know of any other sites that he frequented (i.e. bars) that may still be around? Thank you.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Nelson Algren Sites
Posted by: nordsider (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 02, 2012 05:48PM

mkasprzy, You may be interested in this:

I recently purchased an old movie (DVD), made in 1963, called "Goldstein". Nelson Algren "makes an appearance in the film which he recounts the tale of Lostball Stahouska."

I wouldn't have known about this old movie had it not been for the Forgotten Chicago feature: The Extension And Removal Of Ogden Avenue. Two photographs in this feature article piqued my interest.

However, . . . be forewarned that the film is totally crazy. ;-)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2012 12:48PM by nordsider.

AD:

Posted by: Deejo (---.chi.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: November 02, 2012 10:10PM

There is a map of sites related to Algren here:

[www.nelsonalgren.org]

I know his family home on S. King Drive is still standing - it was for sale a couple years ago. His other boyhood home on N. Troy street (discussed in City on the Make) is also still standing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2012 10:11PM by Deejo.

AD:

Posted by: Rustymuscle (---.lightspeed.elgnil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 04, 2012 05:20PM

There has been a lot of great discussion about the movie Goldstein here, then and now photos, etc.

AD:

Posted by: nordsider (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: November 05, 2012 07:05AM

Also, you can search Nelson Algren at: Studs Terkel: Conversations with America

[www.studsterkel.org]

AD:

Posted by: Bill_Baar (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: December 17, 2012 02:52PM

I went to O'Rourkes [www.chibarproject.com] just after Algren left Chicago for New Jersey because I had read Algren used to drink there. The Bar Tender told me Algren was a pain in the tail, and especially rude to women.

I remember Roger Ebert was sitting at the bar too. He describes the look of the place in the link above although I think the picture of O'Rourkes was a later incarnation of the place. I remember it as more of a corner location at Sedgewick and North. I remember the picture of Brenda Behan real well.

AD:

Goto: ForumsMessagesSearchLog In
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 17
Record Number of Users: 3 on September 02, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 89 on October 31, 2014

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact