Food Brands at Candy Store

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Goto Topic: PreviousNext
Goto: ForumsMessagesNewSearchLog InPrint View
Food Brands at Candy Store
Posted by: Kchi (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 26, 2010 10:33AM

Growing up in the 60's, I remember going to the corner candy store enjoying some brand name products that no longer exist. As an example, I remember Sealtest and Highlander ice cream and Yo Ho and Blue Star potato chips. I also remember Borden's and Twin Oaks milk Does anybody have any info on these brands or their history? Please share the names of other products you remember.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Food Brands at Candy Store
Posted by: 222psm (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 26, 2010 11:08AM

We have Borden in Louisiana, they don't sell it in Chicago anymore? From Wikipedia:
Borden Milk Products
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search

Borden Milk Products L.P. is a privately held American corporation owned by the Dallas, Texas-based Milk Products LLC, a subsidiary of Grupo Lala.

Milk Products, LLC was formed in 2000 and licenses the Borden name and Elsie the Cow trademark from Borden, Inc.'s successor company, Hexion Specialty Chemicals.[1] Most of Borden Milk Products' items are sold in the United States.

Selena Gomez is a spokesperson for Borden Milk and is also featured in the campaign's print and television ads.[2]

AD:

Posted by: Steve B. (---.performancemetal.com)
Date: October 26, 2010 12:15PM

The Highlander Ice Cream factory was located on south Western Boulevard somewhere between 51st and 54th street. At the corner grocery stores, they sold their ice cream as a "kit": a cone with a square top and a cube of ice cream that you peeled the cardboard off.

AD:

Posted by: b.a.hoarder (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 26, 2010 06:12PM

I believe that Twin Oaks Dairy was a co-op. Individual milk men joined together and formed a group that would buy raw milk, process, bottle and then distribute the products themselves. I may be mistaken about processing, maybe they only bottled it from bulk. I went to high school with a guy who's father was a MM and ultimately wrested control (yes, it was unethical and ugly) from his partners in a Twin Oaks facility that was on Southwest Highway in Oak Lawn.

AD:

Posted by: Chipast (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 26, 2010 10:42PM

Arctic Ice Cream, And those blue neon signs.

AD:

Posted by: fleurblue (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 27, 2010 11:42PM

Hawthorne Melody was another popular brand in dairy products back then. I think it was from the Hawthorne Melody farms near Linconshire. The farm itself was a great tourist destination with a small train, gift shop, and viewing of the dairy barns. The train ride was popular with kids as it had some kind of wild west theme with cardboard figures scattered about the grounds.

AD:

Date: October 28, 2010 06:47AM

Kraml Milk, New Era Potato Chips (that came in a metal can), Kayo, Bazooka and Double Bubble gum, Wonder Bread ("Helps build stong bodys 12 ways"), Rold Gold pretzels. Off topic, but Chesterfield and Pall Mall cigarettes and LaPalina cigars.

AD:

Posted by: daveg (130.36.62.---)
Date: October 28, 2010 10:22AM

Thanks for the list Steve B. Probably all familiar names to many here.

I believe Jays potato chips also came in metal cans, way back when. Once the chips were done - which didn't take long - it became a drum.

AD:

Date: October 28, 2010 12:03PM

Correct. I worked at a Jay's distribution center on 44th and Wolcott the summer of 1965 during high school vacation. We would often open a can of chips hot from the ovens and pass it around when the delivery semi rolled in. The best.

AD:

Posted by: Kchi (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: November 10, 2010 12:51PM

Found a website that mentions blue star was taken over by Vitners in 1977 annd that it was located at Loves Park

[www.flickr.com]

AD:

Goto: ForumsMessagesSearchLog In
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 21
Record Number of Users: 6 on August 01, 2013
Record Number of Guests: 241 on October 08, 2012

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact