Savoy Food Stores

General Discussion Forgotten Chicago Forum
Explore Forgotten Chicago
Feel free to discuss anything related to the website here. 
Announcements Posted Last Post
Detectives Wanted to Identify Unknown 1940s Chicago Photos 10/27/2014 09:02PM 10/27/2014 09:02PM
Goto Topic: PreviousNext
Goto: ForumsMessagesNewSearchLog InPrint View
Savoy Food Stores
Posted by: Kchi (---.dsl.chcgil.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 07, 2013 11:02AM

While looking up something else, I ran across a Display ad for Savoy Food Stores.

The ad gave a phone number asking grocers whether they wanted to become a Savoy store so I assume it operated similar to a Centrella or a Certified. It also mentioned looking for the Savoy emblem and there were products shown with the Savoy brand named.

The ad also mentioned that the brand name was around since 1862.

I never heard of the stores or the brand name and could not readily find anything on the Internet.

Would appreciate any information that anybody could provide.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/07/2013 11:04AM by Kchi.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Re: Savoy Food Stores
Posted by: Dunning1 (216.81.94.---)
Date: February 08, 2013 11:35AM

Savoy was the brand name of canned goods distributed by a Chicago food wholesaler, Steele Wedeles Co. I believe they were located at State Street and the Chicago River. There were a lot of wholesale food distributors located along the river years ago. My grandfather always had Monarch canned goods in his store, which were distributed by Reid, Murdoch & Co., which was located in the old Traffic Court building at LaSalle and the river. Governor Henry Horner was the grandson of Henry Horner, a founder of Henry Horner & Co. which later merged and became Durand, McNeill and Horner, another food distributor, Franklin MacVeagh & Co., was headed by a gentleman who was Secretary of the Treasury under the Taft Administration.

Options: ReplyQuote

AD:

Goto: ForumsMessagesSearchLog In
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 8
Record Number of Users: 3 on September 02, 2014
Record Number of Guests: 54 on October 22, 2014

Home | Columns | Articles | Features | Links | Forum | Mission Statement | Staff | Media & Press | Maps | FAQ | Contact